Re: Dynamics [pl|sp]acing weirdness

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics [pl|sp]acing weirdness
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:48:31 -0500

Hi Michael,

> I've come across some placing or spacing weirdness with dynamics.
> In the attached example \dynamicsA is what I tried to code, aka the \< starts
> directly after the \mf. What I expected is what you see in \dynamicsB.
> However it seems as if the combo \mf\< does use some musical time which makes
> the \f appear 1 quaver later than I had expected.
> Is this behaviour expected or a bug?

Did you notice the error(s) when you tried to compile?  ;)

Try this instead:

dynamicsA = {
  s2. \after 8... { <>\mf\< } s4 | s2 s2\f |
}

Note that the combo you’re trying to insert needs to be wrapped in braces so
that it’s a single musical expression.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.