Re: nested beaming

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: nested beaming
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:13:07 -0600

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 10:23 AM Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2024, at 18:46, Simon Albrecht <simon.albrecht@mail.de> wrote:
>
> On 08.04.24 18:22, Paul Scott wrote:
>> Many years ago I could nest square brackets in Lilypond. How can I write this now incorrect code:
>>
>> a16[[ 16 16] 16[ 16 16]]  i.e. two groups of 3 beamed 16th notes joined by a single beam.
>
> The question is: what is the context and why do you want this?

In the past, it was possible to give 9/16 the beat structure [[2 2] [2 3]], as a 2/4 with an extra 1/16 at the end, like in the Bulgarian Daichovo, but currently it is only possible with [4 2 3] as in:
 \time 9/16
 \set beatStructure = #'(4 2 3)
Or [2 2 2 3]. But [[2 2] [2 3]] is easier to read.

> Normally, this is called subdividing beams and there is a context property to turn it on. This is explained in the NR at Rhythms -> Beams -> Setting automatic beam behaviour (or similar). There have recently been significant improvements to how LilyPond handles this, but IIRC it’s not fully ‘there’ yet and in some situations manual intervention is needed besides defining baseMoment etc.

But this has not yet been implemented?

So is the issue that you would like to have the final [2 3] beamed with a pair of beamed 16th notes joined to a trio of beamed sixteenth notes by a single beam?  I could see that such a notation might be easy to read, but it violates the mathematical beaming convention since the two subgroups joined by the single beam are not each 1/8 in duration.  I'm not saying this notation is incorrect; I'm just saying that to implement it we would need to bypass the normal convention....

Thanks,

Carl