Re: Mixed ChoirGroup: Solo/Choir

From: Johannes A . Roeßler
Subject: Re: Mixed ChoirGroup: Solo/Choir
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:33:48 +0200

Thx David, will try with those ideas!

Am 26. April 2024 05:06:52 schrieb David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk>:

On Thu 25 Apr 2024 at 13:36:49 (+0000), Schlipf, John (schlipf) wrote:
On question:
On Wed 24 Apr 2024 at 19:13:47 (+0200), Johannes Roeßler wrote:
Hey David,

it works - but I am running into an issue with short passages.
I would like to stretch the choir part to the right side,
but when I bring in "ragged-right = ##f" then it breaks:

I assume you have a solution for that issue?

This is simple, but perhaps it would work for you.  I've stretched (what I thought were) over-compressed lines by just putting in a manual line break before and after the line I want to stretch.  Lilypond then spreads the demarcated line out to fill the space.

Just to clarify what I wrote Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:46:22 -0500

  "I don't like to stretch the responses music much at all, …"

The sole control I exercise on the layout of each V&R is
to set the individual   indent = NN   that's added to
the global   ragged-right = ##f ragged-last = ##f.

I choose the values by trial and error, to give the first
(or sole) line of a response a balanced appearance compared
with the full-width lines in the rest of the setting.
Overcompression beyond a certain point will lead to LP's
addition of a linebreak anyway.

In the thumbnail score that I previously attached, the values
of NN were: 70, 40, 110, 20, 0, 80, 50, 70, 80, 40, 60, 0, the
Lord's Prayer having no intonation, and the Amens being labelled,
with no cue or indent required.

Cheers,
David.