Re: [Linphone-users] Add MimeType entry to desktop file (utilise Xdg)

From: Genghis Khan
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Add MimeType entry to desktop file (utilise Xdg)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:18:31 -0400

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:07:59 -0700
John White <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ghengis,
>
> I think I followed your directions but I still can't get linphone to
> load properly. If I load it when I am not connected to the internet
> it loads fine and fast. But once I connect, it takes half hour
> before it is usable.
>
> Concerning your comment:
>
> The following line should be added to linphone.desktop file.
>
> MimeType=x-scheme-handler/sip;
>
> I presume you mean /usr/share/applications/linphone.desktop as there
> is no linphone.desktop in my /.local subdirectory (just
> linphone-call.desktop).

You can also add it to /usr/share/applications/linphone.desktop or copy
it to ~/.local/share/applications/linphone.desktop and add it there.

> Here is what I use $ xdg-open sip:(my username)@diamondcard.us.tld
> just in case I am making error here.

A. You need to enter a SIP address to call to, not yours.
B. Dot tld = top level domain (e.g. .com .es etc.).
C. Do not include $ which I wrote to indicate on using terminal.

I have attached a desktop file for you to test.

1) Extract attached file to ~/.local/share/applications/

2) Run command:

 $ xdg-mime default linphone.desktop x-scheme-handler/sip

3) Confirm that Linphone is a default program for SIP by running:

 $ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/sip
 linphone.desktop

4) Test it with:

 $ xdg-open sip:address@hidden

> Linphone loads, says I am registered, but it cannot be used for about
> half an hour when there are lots of names and phonenumbers in
> linphonerc.

I suggest to import most of your contacts that are not being used often
into an external contact management program that would display contacts
in click-able hyperlinks and then use the solution I have proposed.

> If you have any other suggestions, they are most appreciated.
>
> I see your link to ekiga and I like ekiga except that it requires
> use of evolution. If I could figure out a decent way to input
> addresses on ekiga I would use that as I am getting real tired of
> linphone's quirks.

I like Ekiga, too, and I use it many times against Linphone to search
for bugs in both software, yet Linphone is my main SIP program.