lout-users

multi-page lists

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: multi-page lists
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1993 10:29:55 +1000

        If you have a @RawIndentedList that spans several
        pages -- lout pukes -- how do I convince it that
        breaking across pages it acceptable behavior?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was that led to this
message, so I'll answer in a general way.  Lout does break
lists over several pages.  What it can't do is break an
individual list item across two pages.  i.e. it will happily
put a page break between two list items, but not inside one
list item.  This is an acknowledged blemish that will not be
fixed until the promised land called "horizontal galleys" is
added.  Being @Raw should make no difference, which leads me
to suspect that the particular problem might not be this.
If you use a raw list you have to put in your own before and
after space, like this for example:

        @DP
        @RawIndentedList
        @DP
        @ListItem { ... }
        @ListItem { ... }
        @EndList

You can only leave it out if there is really nothing before or
after, as when the @RawIndentedList is itself a list item:

        @ListItem {
            @RawIndentedList
            @ListItem { ... }
            @ListItem { ... }
            @EndList
        }

The big danger with raw lists is forgetting the before and after
space, which leads Lout to believe that the entire list is to be
treated as one word of the preceding paragraph (any object can go
anywhere, remember), with disastrous results.

Hope this helps.  Jeff.