lout-users

various questions from Hadmut

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: various questions from Hadmut
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 08:41:26 +1100

(1) Underlining - single words can be done as in @Eq's underbar, but no
    way to underline paragraphs at present (and some difficulty with how
    to specify what is required in general makes it a hard problem).
    Suggest italics as a nicer looking alternative.

(2) Change font without creating new "box" - see previous mail.

(3) I'm aware that Lout mentions many more fonts than are actually used,
    and for the next release I plan to fix it so that only fonts that are
    actually used are mentioned.  This will require moving the font
    recodings from the overall prologue to the page prologues.

(4) Environment variables for path - I'll look into it.

(5) It is not possible to permit digits in identifier names and preserve
    a static syntax at the same time, because then it would not be
    possible to write a usable equation formatting package.

(6) No definitions after the first @Use, they come before with and import
    clause if access to standard definitions is desired.

(7) Rather than discuss loops. if-then, etc., I would prefer to hear
    what it is that people want to do with them first.  Also, the next
    release has "filtered parameters" which is a mechanism for passing
    parts of the input file through an arbitrary filter (Unix command)
    before being input to Lout.

Jeff.