lout-users

Re: Locale (Was: gencat)

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Locale (Was: gencat)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 16:38:54 +0200 (BST)

( Re Message From: Valeriy E. Ushakov )

> Hello, localized and unlocalized people!
>
> Have you heard of locale? Probably not, since both of you are from
> *.uk This is from Ultrix manual, you'll find similar words anywhere:
>
>    Name
>      gencat - generate a formatted message catalog
>
> Lout use it if compiled with USE_LOCALE to produce a catalog of
> localized messages (LC_MESSAGES category), see a makefile for details.

Thanks, Valeriy, for the info, and for your gentle ways with the ignorant.
It indeed looks as if one can do without it, provided English messages are
acceptable. I did an "archie" for gencat, and could only find it for BSD
(except under nls for elm sources): doesn't come up under Linux. So this
does raise the question: what should Linux folks do if they want to use
the LOCALE possibilities of lout? (The makefile, by the way, does not seem
to refer to gencat).

Ted.                                    (address@hidden)