lout-users

[no subject]

From: Terrence M. Brannon
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 12:38:25 -0800 (PST)

From: address@hidden (Paul K. McKneely)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc
Subject: PhiText: Advanced Text Encoding for Programming
Date: 1 Nov 1995 20:03:35 GMT

                              What is PhiText?

     ASCII has been used for many years and is still heavily used today.
It defines only 95 Displayable Characters and 33 Control Codes.
Development for a new standard called UNICODE began back in 1988 to
accomodate a much larger character set for the Desktop Publishing
industry.  It does not address many issues that are of great importance in
programming.  Where ASCII uses a 7-bit Symbol Code, UNICODE uses a 16-bit
Symbol Code for a total of over 64 thousand symbols.  This is much too
large and cumbersome for efficient programming purposes.

     Development of another text convention called PhiText also began in
1988.  PhiText uses a much more economical 11-bit Symbol Code.  This
allows for a total of 1536 possible Displayable Symbols, roughly 16 times
as large as ASCII.  It is large enough to accomodate advanced programming
languages and small enough to view all of the symbols on the screen at
once.  Also, PhiText defines an additional (optional) 21 bits to record
Symbol Properties bringing the expanded "Flat Character" to 32 bits. These
Symbol Properties accommodate Text Scaling, Text Style (i.e. Fonts), Text
Color (both Foreground and Background), and five Visual Attributes (Bold,
Flash/Italic, Hidden, Reverse Image, and Underscore).  These 32-bit "Flat
Characters" can easily be manipulated by processors such as the Motorola
68000 but they can potentially require a lot of storage.  The PhiText
convention includes an encoding method called "Byte Stream Encoding".
Using this technique, PhiText Files can be stored in less space than their
ASCII equivalents.  PhiText Byte Stream Encoding uses a sensible
compromise between simplicity, efficiency, and the ability to recover from
potential data loss due to transmission and storage errors.  It also
serves as an intermediate form of text storage that permits compatibility
between Big-Endian and Little-Ending computer architectures.  UNICODE
offers no such features.

                       What is PhiText being used for?

     PhiText was designed to meet a wide variety of text applications for
programming purposes.  I can't properly spell "PhiText" in ASCII because
the "Phi" is actually the capitolized Greek letter.  The EICN (Excellence
In Computing Network) is currently developing advanced software tools
based on PhiText.  These tools currently run on an IBM PC/AT or better
with a standard VGA card.  They allow you to view the character set and
even design new symbols for video display.  To create documents we are
using PhiEdit.

     A new operating system called "PhiOS" is also under development
(since 1990).  PhiText will be its native text format.  Targeted by the
new OS is the Motorola 680X0 family of micro-processors (also known as the
68K).  An assembler/linker/downloader toolset supporting PhiText is now in
use to provide developers with an economical means to participate in this
new technology.  PhiOS's Kernel (called PhiKernel) is written in 100%
assembly language for compactness, speed, and efficiency.  It uses a micro-
kernel architecture to support embedded applications as well as general
purpose pre-emptive multi-tasking desktop applications.  PhiOS will run on
all family members from the 68000 to the 68060.  This will provide a 100-
fold range in the cost/performance spectrum.

                         Who should get involved?

     Participation in the development process is open to the public via
news group <comp.sys.m68k>.  The subject of all posts should be preceded
with the prefix in the format "EICN: subject_goes_here".  Currently,
membership in the Developer's Group is by invitation only.  Please
understand that this is not meant to exclude the public but it is
necessary if we are to maintain a technological advantage over big multi-
billion dollar monopolies.  Large companies do not give us their
technology so why should we give them ours?  (We believe that even
programmers deserve to eat).  We at the EICN are excited about our new
alternative to the low quality in system software currently offered by
multi-billion dollar companies that have traditionally dominated the
market.

                      I am interested in participation

     If you are a tools developer and you would like to inquire about
participating in the next great leap in system software, you may contact:

  Paul K. McKneely--technoVenture
    address@hidden
  David Lindauer--LAD
    address@hidden