lout-users

Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:54:11 +0300 (MSK)

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Ted Harding wrote:

> I've been following this with interest. May I ask a naive question,
> namely: Why is it that lout doesn't implement a floating keep which would
> work for *anything* (text, table, figure, ... )?
>
> Since lout's basic concept is a box, this might be more straightforward
> at the basic level than it is for, say, troff (which uses a less easily
> manageable "diversion" mechanism, but none the less has a very smooth
> floating keep implemented in macros).

Wow! You just invented galleys!

Galley is most obscure and voodoo part of Lout. Imagine you have a
sequence of pages marked up with marks like: "here text goes", "and
here's a place for a footnote", "there tables will be placed". You
document provides structural markup: "the next piece of text is just
normal body text", "this is a footnote", etc...

When you format your document, Lout "joins" these marks, i.e. text
marked as a footnote in your document goes to the place on the page
marked "footnotes goes here", etc... Everything MUST have its place on
the page or it will never be printed. It just happens (`dl' layout is
written in such a way) that @Table's and @Figure's goes to the top of
the page.

Ok, now few words on code I posted to the list. Bad news is that it's
broken. It cannot be intermixed with numbered displays and with any
code that use number markers. Good news is that I slightly modify it
so that it can be used in any environment at cost of using
@NumberOfFigure and @NumberOfTable instead of just @NumberOf. Perhaps
the problem could be cured by some careful reordering of markers and
galleys, but I have no time to investigate this in full.

People interested in the code can get it from my ftp:

        ftp://ftp.niif.spb.su/pub/unix/text/lout/immediate.shar.gz

It now contains both figures and tables. They can be intermixed with
each other and numbered displays. Don't use non floating and normal
figures/tables in one section, they are numbered separately, so you
will get two "Figure 1.1" etc.

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.
--------