lout-users

Q: multi-page tables smushed not broken?

From: myk melez
Subject: Q: multi-page tables smushed not broken?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:46:52 -0600

Hi all,

I haven't been able to figure out a problem that seems to be an
inconsistency between the Lout User's Guide and my experience.  According
to the Guide, "The tables produced by @Tab permit page breaks between any
two rows... To prevent page breaks within a small table, use @OneRow @Tab."
(p. 102)

In my experience Lout has always attempted to smush my big tables to fit
into a single page.  Some of the documents I'm working with consist
primarily of a single table one to three pages long, and I've had to put in
my own breaks (or split the table into multiple smaller tables), otherwise
I get a smushed table with lots of formatting problems.

Am I missing something or is this a Lout bug?  Instead of attaching a
source sample to this email I've put up a web page with a source sample to
save some bandwidth.  It's at:

<URL:http://www.paranoia.com/~myk/misc/loutsource.html>

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

        myk