lout-users

Re: @Verbatim bug ????

From: David Middleton
Subject: Re: @Verbatim bug ????
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:18:08 -0600

Many thanks to all those who responed to my @Verbatim question.  Jeff's
comment about the pure interpretation being a character to glyph mapping
never occured to me!  Maybe the only "bug" is in my reading of the
User's guide...

Maybe, as Robert suggests, @Verbatim just needs an option specifying the
number of chars to expand tabs to e.g.

@Verbatim
 @TabExpand { 8 }
{
        verbatim        text    with    tabs
}

Then, if there is no @TabExpand, @Verbatim works in its current "pure"
mode.

BTW, 8 chars seems to be the default under SunOS.

However, I now know two ways to accomplish my original objective (that
of using lout to neatly print a tab delimited text file):

i) Use @CP:

@SysInclude {cdoc}
@Doc @Text @Begin

@CP { @Include { <tab-delimited.file> } }

@End @Text

ii) Use @Filter with the expand program (which is present at least under
SunOS/Solaris as Peter pointed out):

def @Verbatab
  right x
{
  def @Filter { expand @FilterIn > @FilterOut }
  lines @Break x
}

@SysInclude {doc}

@Doc @Text @Begin

{Courier Base 8pt} @Font @Verbatab{ @Include { <tab-delimited.file> } }

@End @Text

(I'm specifying Courier so the columns continue to line up as they do
with my non-proportional on screen font).

Of the above methods (i) is preferable in my case as @CP is already
set up to handle unquoted special characters (/,& etc) in the input.

Thanks again for the responses

David