lout-users

Re: Bibliography & ToC placement

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Bibliography & ToC placement
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:36:34 +0300

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 12:15:45AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> BTW I cannot believe my eyes.  It seems that I cannot choose the
> paper type and orientation from the document.  Only from the setup
> file, is this correct?

Do you mean that @Report &c don't have @Paper* parameters and only
@DocumentLayout has?  Than yes, this is correct.  The page layout is
defined in @DocumentLayout and it's there where page parameters belong
to.

> And changing paper orientation seems to be impossible in the middle
> of the document? Is this correct too?  Sometimes this is extremely
> necessary for working with wide tables.

Yes.  Lout generates a potentially infinite list of pages inside
@Document/@Report/@Book.  And @Text/@Section/@Chapter just supply
contents for this page list.  So you cannot change page parameters
midstream because the pages are already there.  Troff and TeX has
built-in notion of pages, Lout does NOT, you (@DocumentLayout)
*define* what a page is and how does it look like.

In your particular case will @Rotate help?

> I am beginning to become the laughing stock for my MS Word
> neightbors sitting next to me :-( They can do it.

Gee, it's usually vice versa for me!

Anyway, it's not an advocacy list.  Let's close this.

SY, Uwe