lout-users

Re: On the PDF back end

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: On the PDF back end
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 04:39:31 +0400

Please note, that list rejects postings from unsubscribed addressess
(that's an effective spam protection).

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 23:25:49 +0400, Graham Douglas wrote:

> I saw a few posts about the PDF back end. There is a *superb* PDF C
> library called PDFlib at www.pdflib.com which *might* be a starting
> point for a full PDF back end.

No, the problem that get in the way for a full PDF backend are
entirely different, unfortunately.

> The license issue would need looking at carefully

It's not GPL compatible, as far as I can tell (that's why I dislike GPL).

> 1. Can you import EPS files with binary previews (TIFF on the PC) or
> do you need to read/process the 30-byte binary header?

Hmm, I think there's was a recent post about this (with a patch).

> 2. Does it require use of the libtiff library (or similar) to be
> able to import TIFF files by converting them to EPS?

After readign several TIFF->PS threads in comp.lang.postscript my
impression is that we'd better leave it up to a separate tool...

OTOH, jpeg should be easy and png should be not very difficult.

SY, Uwe