lout-users

Re: Excessive memory usage

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Excessive memory usage
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:11:03 +1000

Lout uses a lot of memory, for sure.  It reclaims the memory devoted
to some part of the document when it prints that part.  It basically
prints the document one page at a time unless there is some reason
to hold a page back.

Are your several smaller tables separated by something like @LP or @DP?
(Or in terms of Lout's primitives, a // operator)?  If they are separated
by / they will all be held and all printed together.  Lout also reads
input in chunks from one @LP or @DP or // etc. to the next.

The only other thing I can suggest (and I've done it myself, not because
tables take a lot of memory, but because they're slow as well) is to
abandon @Tbl and generate simpler Lout, such as

2c @Wide { hello world } | 3c @Wide { second column }
//0.5c
2c @Wide { hello again } | 3c @Wide { second column }

and so on.  You need to know the column widths to do this, and you
lose a lot of @Tbl's convenience features, but it runs much faster
and uses a lot less memory and is well suited to program-generated Lout.

Jeff Kingston