lout-users

Re: Jeff's new programming language

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Jeff's new programming language
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:09:09 +0400

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:19:12 +0200, Giovanni Zezza wrote:

> Il Mon, 08 Apr 2002 08:37:57 +1000, Jeff Kingston scriveva:
>
> > When it's implemented.  It will be GPL licenced as usual.
>
> This aroses a usual problem of mine about GPL licence: what exactly is
> supposed to be "a work based on the Program"?
>
> A program that generates Lout (or Nonpareil) code (for example, from
> a database), and then launches Lout on it to get a report, has to be
> considered "a work based on Lout"? I have to distribute it under GPL
> too?

exec's doesn't mean "based", at least that was the interpretation some
time ago.  E.g. there was a shell extension for Windows that did RCS
and the GPL'ed RCS code was in separate executables, so this usage was
approved by rms.

PS: (with my list maintainer's hat on) I'd really appreciate if
GPL-related questions were not brought up on this list.  The topic is
too controversial and I'd rather not see ongoing flame fests on this
list.  There's always news:gnu.misc.discuss

SY, Uwe