lout-users

Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:36:03 -0700

John:

In order to get a complex document to properly include all of the references, lout must be run several times. The users guide must be run roughly 5 times before all the "unresolved cross reference" warnings disappear. There may still be some warning about the size of several items (depending on your paper size, etc).

This information is in one of the readme's, but is sometimes overlooked.

Al

John H. Zouck wrote:
I recently found lout and was much enthused on reading about it and have
downloaded 3.25 to my Solaris box.

It built OK. I installed it to my local directory. After setting LOUTLIB
to the local lib directory, 'make install' went OK too.

However when I went to the doc/user directory and tried to rebuild the
user's guide, there were all sorts of error messages, like:

jhz[\H:(~/lout-3.17/doc/user)]360: lout all >tmp.ps
lout file "all":
    14,1: unresolved cross reference @Roman&&1
    14,1: unresolved cross reference @Roman&&2
lout file "preface" (from "all" line 33):
     9,9: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&kingston1995lout.expert
   11,17: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&kingston1993lout.design
   12,24: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&kingston1994lout.overheads
   41,28: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&kernighan1975eqn
   42,23: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&reid1980scribe
   51,32: unresolved cross reference @NumberMarker&&knuth1984tex
lout file "bas_char" (from "bas" line 15, from "all" line 34):

I got a postscript document out, and it is readible, but there are many
'???' in it, I assume due to the error messages...

Anyone know what's going on?

John H. Zouck The Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory