lout-users

Re: size limit for picture?

From: Joe Beach
Subject: Re: size limit for picture?
Date: 13 Mar 2003 17:38:08 -0700

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 15:04, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 13:35:00 -0700, Joe Beach wrote:
>
> > This error starts happening if either of the @High or @Wide dimensions
> > exceeds 57c. 57c is fine, 58c causes the error. Does anyone know if this
> > is a limit internal to lout, or if I can change a setup file to get
> > around it?
>
> I think this limit is mentioned in the Lout docs somewhere.  Lout uses
> 1/20 of a point as its internal unit and uses signed shorts, so
>
>     $ bc -l
>     (2^15 / 20) * (2.54 / 72)
>     57.79911111111111109836
>
> SY, Uwe

Hmmm, that's too bad, I was hoping to use it to make a big poster. I
tried some more using a doc setup with a large page size, and had the
same problem. That makes sense, given your explanation.

Perhaps later releases of lout could use long integers to accomodate
larger page sizes? Perhaps someday I'll learn to program in C so I could
just look and know...

Joe Beach