lout-users

Re: Mixed 3 col layouts with normal, and dynamic document properties

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Mixed 3 col layouts with normal, and dynamic document properties
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:09:01 +1100

> I'm dynamically generating lout content from a ruby
> application.. and I need to have a dynamic page footer
> (ie: The footer says: Generated for PERSON'S NAME)

Assuming that it is the same person's name on every page, this
is what the @OddFoot and @EvenFoot options in the setup file
are for.  So rather than generating

    @SysInclude { doc }

at the top of your document, you need to generate instead the
content of the doc setup file.  It's only a few lines if you
ignore the millions of comment lines:

    @SysInclude { langdefs      }
    @SysInclude { bsf           }
    @SysInclude { dsf           }
    @SysInclude { docf          }
    @Include { mydefs } # this line optional
    @Use { @BasicSetup
    }
    @Use { @DocumentSetup
    }
    @Use { @OrdinarySetup
    }
    @SysDatabase @FontDef  { fontdefs }
    @SysDatabase @RefStyle { refstyle }

Then you can interpolate into this the values you need for the
setup file options you want to change.

> Another dynamic weirdness I'm hitting is that I need to
> produce a document where most pages are a normal layout,
> but occasionally a single page will be a three column layout
> ... Is there any way to do that in lout?

Consult the User's Guide, Section 3.1 Ordinary Documents.

Jeff