lout-users

Re: Fonts and optical scaling

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Fonts and optical scaling
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:34:54 +1100

> My question is: did anyone (and in particular Jeff) consider
> adding support for [optical scaling] in Lout?

I'm aware of the issue but I have never given serious thought
to adding it.  I agree that the @FontDef structure and semantics
is what needs revising.  Before we go too far, are there optically
scaled fonts available somewhere that are actually worth using?

NB it is possible to work around this issue by including each
different version of a font as a different family, and changing
family when you change size.  This does not work for relative
changes of size, of course, but if it is just a question of a
change for large headings, say, it would do the job.

> Maybe this is something NonPareil should take into account.

Yes, I plan to allow for this in Nonpareil.

Jeff