lout-users

Version 3.32 - embedded Lout files

From: Christopher Wolfe
Subject: Version 3.32 - embedded Lout files
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:46:20 -0500

On Friday I tested Lout 3.32's ability to include Lout-generated EPS
files in Lout-generated documents.  I had mixed results.

Here is my test log.

Test 1: success
I included 2 Lout-generated EPS files as graphics in an Lout document. The resulting file looked OK. All Lout source files in this test contained formatted text; no photos, nothing fancy.

For the following tests, I use photos of houses, converted to EPSF format by ImageMagick 6.0.7. Let's call these files "photo1.eps" and "photo2.eps". I used these photos to mock up a real estate ad a couple of months ago, when the first EPS bug was exposed.

Test 2: success
I included photo1.eps as a graphic in an Lout illustration. The results looked OK. Text below the photo appeared. (I saved the output as "house1.eps" for further testing.)

Test 3: success
I included photo1.eps as a graphic in an Lout document. The results looked OK. Text above and below the photo appeared.

Test 4: success
I included photo1.eps and photo2.eps as graphics in an Lout document. The results looked OK. I see 2 photos of a house in the output. Text above and below the photos appeared.

Test 5: failure
I included the results of test 2, house1.eps, as a graphic in an Lout document. GhostScript 8.54 reports errors, unfortunately. It shows the results, but the text that should be right below the graphic is at the bottom of the page. This worked fine in Lout 3.31 with my patch on 8/24.

For reference, test 5's files are attached... except for the photo. house1.eps is 750 KB, so I spared the list a large attachment. I will gladly forward it to whomever is interested.

Test 6: failure
Repeated test 2 for photo2.eps, generating house2.eps. I included house1.eps and house2.eps in an Lout document. The errors are more pronounced in these results. This worked fine in Lout 3.31 with my patch.

Test 7: success
Include house1.eps in an Lout illustration.  Results look OK.

Test 8: success
Include house1.eps and house2.eps in an Lout illustration.  Results look OK.

Conclusion:
Lout 3.32 performed better than base Lout 3.31 in these tests. I consider it an improvement.

I am rather unique in that I desire Lout Illustrations and final EPS output, as in tests 7 and 8. I guess that the majority of Lout users desire page-sized PostScript documents, as in tests 5 and 6. So the above issues warrant further study.

I'll follow up and ask one of my in-house PostScript experts to diagnose the error in tests 5 and 6. I am hoping their answer will be more than "reapply the patch from 8/24".

Christopher Wolfe
SCS
@SysInclude { doc }
@Doc @Text @Begin