lout-users

Re: Page Size

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Page Size
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:46:33 +0200

On 2007-05-22, Henrik Mårtensson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a problem with page size in Lout. When I use predefined page
> sizes, everything works, but when I use a custom page size like this:
>
> @PageType { Other @OrIfPlain Other}
>         @PageWidth        { 7.5i    }
>         @PageHeight        { 9.25i            }
>
> the top margin of the page is about twice as wide as the bottom
> margin. I use the default margin settings, and generate PDF files with
> ps2pdf.
>
> Does anyone have any idea about what it is I am missing?

You need to tell ps2pdf about the page size.  The PostScript generated
by lout doesn't contain calls to setpagedevice to set the page size, but
only specifies the size in the DSC comments (%%DocumentMedia:).  This is
actually a good thing, but it also means that a PostScript interpreter
doesn't know about the page size (since it doesn't read the comments).
You thus have to either insert the (potentially device-dependent) media
selection code or you have to specify it by some other means - otherwise
the interpreter will use its default page size.

In the case of ps2pdf you can use the -sPAPERSIZE option, e.g.,

  lout poster.lt | ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a0 - poster.pdf

or the -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS and -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS options, for your
example:

  ps2pdf -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=540 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=666 document.ps

HTH

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>