lout-users

Re: "symbol has reached its maximum expansion"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "symbol has reached its maximum expansion"
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:31:32 +0200

Salut Yves,  ;-)

Yves Forkl <address@hidden> writes:

> I fear that my thesis may be too "heavy" for Lout:

FWIW, I wrote my 130+ page PhD thesis in Lout, some of us wrote large
books, and the User Guide itself is pretty large.  Very intuitively,
this leads me to think it *should* be able to handle your thesis too.
;-)

> 1) It gave me the obscure error "symbol has reached its maximum
> expansion (1000)".

[...]

> So is the error related to counting the footnotes through?

Jeff will have to give a definite answer, but I think it's not related,
or at least not directly related.  The "maximum expansion" refers to the
fact that Lout evaluates function calls lazily, and the limit is (sort
of) a maximum allowed stack depth.  So you could reach that limit, for
instance, if an infinite recursion is hit.

> @FootNoteThrough { No } so that numbering starts anew at each page, I
> didn't face that error again.

Well, then, it may actually be related.  :-)

Can't you work around this by having your front-end (XML-to-Lout
conversion) generate footnote numbers and use address@hidden'?

> 2) My references database, when finished, will have about 180 K of
> size, its 535 references are cited in 2300 citations (plus about 1000
> instances of @NoCite, generated when citing a reference contained in
> some other reference to make sure the containing reference also gets
> its entry displayed - but I might generate an include file that only
> contains one instance of @NoCite per containing reference, probably
> around 150 entries).
>
> Will Lout also reach its limits when processing them, i.e., is there a
> symbol involved in the processing of the citations and references that
> might reach its maximum expansion here, too?

Again, I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Ludovic.