lout-users

Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:04:01 +0800

Antonio Regidor García wrote:
On windows, I only use lout calling it from other programs. I work for a
software company and write programs that use lout for printing. So, when
choosing between mingw and cygwin, the smaller and easier to install is the
better. I didn't use cygwin a lot, so I don't know: For a lout executable
compiled for cygwin, would it suffice to simply copy the cygwin dll to the lout
directory?

Yes, I tried a batch file and "lout -v" appears to work with the added cygwin1.dll, opening a console window, but I haven't run the thing seriously (I want to recompile to install to /usr/local later, then test).

If anyone has experience using Lout on Cygwin, let us know if you want and I will put the material up on a new wiki page later.

I realize that there are users for the MinGW port, but I'm usually more enthusiastic about maintaining something that I use myself, and running stuff on DOS Prompts is becoming more and more of a rarity for me. I'd rather expend my energy on FLOSS more efficiently and not be saddled with too much legacy work.

I welcome comments, and for now, I treat the MinGW Lout as a custom port that won't go into mainline. But I am seriously thinking now that pushing Win32 Lout users to Cygwin and end-of-life'ing the MinGW port is the best long term plan.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)