lout-users

Re: Using Computer Modern in Lout - some final questions

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Using Computer Modern in Lout - some final questions
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:53:07 +1100

> If you take fonts from Metafont that were derived from various
> point sizes...

Lout is not able to select different versions of a font depending
on size.  In Lout there is only one version and it is scaled up or
down as required.  This version is derived from a single Adobe
PostScript AFM file that Lout reads.  All your questions are
essentially concerned with the meaning of the conversion from
Metafont to AFM, which is nothing to do with Lout.  For example:

> In other words, if I take a 10pt font derived from Metafont and
> specify 10p as the size in Lout, is there any scaling that is
> happening?

By the time you have converted your font to an AFM file, it is no
longer a 10p font.  The AFM format describes the abstract shapes
of the glyphs without specifying any particular font size.  There
is a convention that a length of 1000 in the AFM file represents
the font size; but it does not represent any *particular* font size.

> Why in the heck am I bothering with all of this?  I ask myself
> the same thing, but I have to admit that it's primarily because
> the typefaces available in the standard Postscript library are
> not very nice to read compared to Computer Modern.

Well, I think this is a matter of opinion.  I personally don't
like Computer Modern at all.

> Is there any thought to having future versions of Lout or even
> Nonpareil to support OpenType or TrueType?  Adding fonts to Lout
> is kind of a pain.

Probably not for Lout.  Do you know of other systems that make it
easier to add fonts?  How do they make it easier?

Jeff