lout-users

Re: Is it possible to have a PDF table of contents list?

From: Valery Ushakov
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have a PDF table of contents list?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 02:32:40 +0300

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 21:08:17 +0000, Mark wrote:

> On 2018-11-27 15:00, Valery Ushakov wrote:

> > > As far as I know, this does not depend on Lout-the-program,
> > > but only on the library (.../lout/include) which you can extend
> > > yourself:
> > > You'd need to find out what to write into the Lout-generated
> > > PostScript so that your PostScript-to-PDF converter (in my case
> > > `ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress') generates the desired PDF features.
> >
> > Lout does generate some pdfmarks internally (@LinkSource and
> > @LinkDest), but you can also use @Graphics (@DocInfo in include/bsf).
> >
> > Shouldn't be that hard to add pdfmarks to document structure symbols,
> > like @Section, though it's been more than a decade since I looked
> > closer, so I might be misremembering.
> >
> > I'll try to take a look when I have time unless someone beats me to
> > it.
>
> Thanks for that idea, I've created this:
>
> def @TocA right x {
>     {
>         @BackEnd @Case {
>             PostScript @Yield
>             {
>                 "[ /Title ("x") /OUT pdfmark " # lout provides ] ?
>             }
>             else @Yield @Null
>             }
>     } @Graphic { }
> }
>
> And it works!
>
> One downside is that I can't do 'subordinate' bookmarks because to do that
> you need to know how many there are so that for the parent you can set the
> /Count value.

This should be solvable with lout cross-references and some
indirection.  There's probably a relevant example already in the
standard packages.  If not, this old mail might provide some relevant
inspiration on creative use of @Tagged

  http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/1402.dictionary.txt

(the same mail in official archives)

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lout-users/1999-11/msg00021.html

Sorry, I no longer have enough lout cached in my head to come up with
an answer expromptu.

-uwe