Re: LYNX-DEV unofficial v2.6 src module replacements

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV unofficial v2.6 src module replacements
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:00:11 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      I haven't tried it, but what it intends to do is desireable.
>> The LYMessages_en.h was intended only for strings that invoke the
>> statusline functions which have code for di-byte handling, so a red
>> flag went up in my mind when I saw that revision.  I think in that
>> respect, it's development code.  The new HTAlert.c function could be
>> tweaked equivalently.
>
>Ok, this one will remain as development code and be up to Rob as to
>whether he includes it or not.

        Ugh.  That's a hard call.  Lynx now doing what's right means
it fails with scripts that still expect a 303-like conversion for 302.
so people really need the option to do it wrong with such scripts.  Do
a poll for this one too.  :) :)

>>      Note that we may have our wires cross about the buffer overrun
>> protection patch.  I thought that was to be treated as development code,
>> so the GridText.c in the updated patch has just what I actually did in
>> our code here, i.e, it keeps the 256 byte static buffer, and just skips
>> the excess if there are more than 255 links on a page.
>
>Well, the buffer overrun thing was already considered development code due
>to the author's comments.
>
>Are you saying that you implemented your OWN "fix" to it by just ignoring
>links that exceeded the max?  If so, then the patch would need to be
>re-cut for the update code.

        I had added the check for MAXLINKS the same day I posted that
this was the simplest way to do it, and maybe somebody might want to
add more elegant code.  So it was in my GridText.c on which I did the
radio/checkbox mod, and "sneaked" into what I sent you without my
realizing it.  I don't like the idea of a predictable buffer overrun
being left unfixed, so perhaps that was a Freudian slip. :) :)

>>      Klaus' patches include real bug fixes, but I haven't tried those
>> either.
>
>Ok, both the POST patch (CR/LF) and the DNS lookup (#'s in IP's) patch?
>Since you haven't tried them, I guess I need to ask the list if anyone has
>tried the DNS lookup patch and if there are any problems with it on any
>platforms...

        We'll see what happens with your poll.  There's definitely
something wrong related to gethostbyname() calls or associated code.
If a DNS lookup fails (externally), Lynx can crash in display_title()
of GridText.c on the next document fetch.  I have no idea what the
connection is, and it isn't happening reliably enough to debug directly.
So maybe it will just stop after Klaus' patches. :) :)

                                Fote