Re: LYNX-DEV Aborting transfers gracefully

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Aborting transfers gracefully
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 06:50:31 -0700

> From address@hidden Thu Oct 17 09:49:50 1996
> From: Walter Skorski <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Aborting transfers gracefully
>
> Bela Lubkin writes:
>
> > Lynx has a key to abort a slow transfer: "z".
>
> In my experience, the "z" key has *never* worked for me.
>
> > There is one well-known case where "z" doesn't appear to work.  Host
> > name lookups are not easily interruptible when using the standard Unix
> > resolver library.  So you cannot interrupt the "Looking up foo.bar.com"
> > phase with "z".
>
> Most of the time, when I want to cancel a fetch, it's because it's been
> stuck at "Received 12345 of 123456 bytes of data." for two whole
> minutes.  Hitting "z" or "Z" here (or anywhere) doesn't help for me.
> (Caveat:  I'm still using 2.5-FM of 07-17-96.  I have 2.6, but haven't
> compiled it yet because I'm trying to get ncurses to run first; but
> I've also reviewed the new CHANGES file, and see no mention of
> anything like this there, or on the list.)
>
> --
> .    iksrokS retlaW<>Walter Skorski    ..        address@hidden         .
>  Computer Administrator, Div. of Medical Genetics, Thomas Jefferson University
>
> ;

This is probably crazy, but sometimes I do a ^Z and then an fg,
in the hope that somehow "wakes it up", "kicks sit in the butt",
or something.  Who knows what goes on down in the OS, is my
approach.

But then again, when I heard about elephants going crazy at
certain times of year, I put some vinegar out on the grass,
and have had no trouble from elephants.  Seems to work.

That's MY approach.

;
;