Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:08:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >     I think it would be a counterproductive "convenience" at this
> > time.  You'd be creating a new version without basic issues about how
> > Lynx development will be handled effectively, and what the objectives
> > and priorities will be, having been adequately discussed and clarified
> > yet.

> I'm not really sure I see what you're getting at.  Since this code is
> primarily bug fixes for stuff that creeped into 2.6 (or has been lurking
> there all along <g>), I see that at some point we should freeze it at a
> 2-6-1 as soon as the patches settle down and give a fixed platform from
> which to base development on.  Otherwise it will be "2-6 is the latest
> version, but be sure to get the 'service pack' (Microsoft...<g>) as well."
> I see that as being even more confusing to have several versions of 2-6
> running around that perform differently.

The point is that you don't change version number just like that. These new
features are not enough to convince your average sysop to comile Lynx again,
and constantly upgrading version number might be counterproductive in sense
that people will not pay attention when the really new version emerges.

However, it is necessary to have stable source for the development and I'm
proposing releasing of patch levels primarily intended for the developers.
Lynx with the composite patch could be named 2.6PL1 (and it would still
output 2.6 in user-agent header). As soon as some new patch stabilizes, patch
level increases by one. PL patches should be archived and made against the
last official version, currently 2.6. All new patches should be made against
the last PL version. In case the new patch does not change any of the files
affected by the current PL patch, the PL version increases, but the old PL
patch needs not to be archived.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden