Re: LYNX-DEV nsl patch w/ updates

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nsl patch w/ updates
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:21:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> Well, I just posted that the nsl and SSL and socks patches integrate just
> fine with the updates which is true, but I found one thing that doesn't
> work properly on the nsl patch.
>
> If you use the guessing facility (BTW, the display is cool <g>), you
> cannot interrupt the guesses if it gets stuck on a lookup.  You can still
> interrupt the normal lookups though.  I guess Tom will have to re-do the
> patch based on the updates and keep 2 copies of the nsl patch. :)  The SSL
> patch seems to work fine though.

On my part, that was by design :-) as this comment should tell:

                                /* Give user chance to interrupt - not
                                   (currently)
                                   the gethostbyname itself, but at least
                                   the loops around it. - kw */

The "guessing" name lookups are done independently from the "regular"
name lookups.  Lynx does the latter when it tries to establish a
connection, while the "guessing" ones are done earlier, and are
implemented in a different file (src/LYUtils.c, not
.../Implementation/HTTCP.c).  Information from the guessing is not even
re-used for the later lookup (except that the nameserver and maybe the
OS will have cached a successful lookup result, so subsequent lookups
will be faster).

Tom's patch (when I looked at it) didn't bother do deal at all with
the "guessing" lookups (to make them interruptible), and that's fine with
me - I regard the guessing facility as somewhat of a luxury; it's not
necessary, and if you are using it you are obviously not bothered by
name lookups taking too long...

Ayway, I don't think Tom "will have to" redo the patch for this reason,
although it's fine if he does.

  Klaus

;
;