Re: LYNX-DEV nsl patch w/ updates

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nsl patch w/ updates
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:36:26 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Well, I just posted that the nsl and SSL and socks patches integrate just
>> fine with the updates which is true, but I found one thing that doesn't
>> work properly on the nsl patch.
>>
>> If you use the guessing facility (BTW, the display is cool <g>), you
>> cannot interrupt the guesses if it gets stuck on a lookup.  You can still
>> interrupt the normal lookups though.  I guess Tom will have to re-do the
>> patch based on the updates and keep 2 copies of the nsl patch. :)  The SSL
>> patch seems to work fine though.
>
>On my part, that was by design :-) as this comment should tell:
>
>                                /* Give user chance to interrupt - not
>                                   (currently)
>                                   the gethostbyname itself, but at least
>                                   the loops around it. - kw */
>
>The "guessing" name lookups are done independently from the "regular"
>name lookups.  Lynx does the latter when it tries to establish a
>connection, while the "guessing" ones are done earlier, and are
>implemented in a different file (src/LYUtils.c, not
>.../Implementation/HTTCP.c).  Information from the guessing is not even
>re-used for the later lookup (except that the nameserver and maybe the
>OS will have cached a successful lookup result, so subsequent lookups
>will be faster).
>
>Tom's patch (when I looked at it) didn't bother do deal at all with
>the "guessing" lookups (to make them interruptible), and that's fine with
>me - I regard the guessing facility as somewhat of a luxury; it's not
>necessary, and if you are using it you are obviously not bothered by
>name lookups taking too long...
>
>Ayway, I don't think Tom "will have to" redo the patch for this reason,
>although it's fine if he does.

        Note that the LYUtils.c "guessing" modes in the Composite
replacement file set (it's a zip of whole files, not patches, and
you extract what's new via unzip -u) do what you intended but are
not your original patch.  You were not checking whether screen
management and interupt handling had been set up, and so if you
invoked "guessing" for the startfile, Lynx would crash.

        The gethostbyname() calls should someday be replaced by an
LYgethostbyname() function which can be called from anywhere and be
interruptible.

                                Fote