LYNX-DEV chatting with microsoft converts

From: Carl Reimann
Subject: LYNX-DEV chatting with microsoft converts
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:29:59 +0000 (GMT)

I have been chatting with people who have designed bizarre and
unreadable pages. They are, in general, ignorant of the problem;
unaware of how easy it is to avoid the problem; in general pursuing
features they hear about and want to try; think that most people don't
care about any resulting incompatibility; believe that using a
windowing system such as MS Opaque 3.x or Opaques 95, or X-Windows,
would be an 'upgrade'; believe my experiences are because I am using
non-graphical tools; are doing things in a way that is utterly
unnecessary; and are otherwise misinformed.

One such individual wrote to me:

"I do use redirection, but since you're using a non-graphical browser
perhaps you don't realize it.. the links at the top of the page are
configured in a drop-down menu using a non-parsed header redirection
cgi script, the ../ is necessary since the script is in the directory
structure below the called pages.  It will not work properly with the
../ removed. As for why I do it, well, I'm oing it to learn perl and
cgi.... haven't you ever done something just to see how it's done?"

;
;