Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:42:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Walter Skorski wrote:
> Michael Richardson writes:
> >   If there are no objections, I'll send off a registration for
> > "browser.org" tomorrow evening.
> I have one (which is why I asked earlier about which name ended up
> being chosen) - why are we committing ourselves (as "owners" of the
> browser.org domain) to being the "minority browser support site", with
> subdomains for lynx.browser.org, chimera.browser.org, etc., when the
> only browser we have any intention to support is Lynx?  By committing
> to such a non-committal domain name, we're opening ourselves up to all
> kinds of arguments over who gets to be the "official" operators of
> xyz.browser.org for any and all xyz that comes along.

I peronally like the idea of browser.org, although I said earlier that
lynx-dev.org was okay.  By having a whole 2nd level namespace, we can
branch it out as much as we like, as in "text.browser.org,"  etc.  We may
change the name Lynx is some corporation decides to hassle us, and the
browser.org links will still work.  We would be able to have chimera or
other free browsers hang off our namespace it it seems reasonable.

If we can agree to stick with lynx-n.browser.org as our base, I'd like to
see version specific web pages that we can have the older sites point to.
The UKans page could redirected to lynx-237.browser.org/help.html, where a
page of helpful hints could be placed, as well as the obligatory "upgrade
to lynx-newer-than-you-have". Subir's pages could be redirected there as
well so all the latest releases have working help pointers next year.

We could also set up mirrors the way FreeBSD does, with uk.lynx.browser
being in the UK, etc.
-----
I don't speak (or work) for the Baltimore County Public Library.
They keep telling me, "Shhhhh!"

;
;