Re: LYNX-DEV Andrew's patch for XTerm mouse compatibility

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Andrew's patch for XTerm mouse compatibility
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:05:19 -0400 (EDT)

Bela Lubkin wrote:
> I haven't tried the xterm mouse patch (have been meaning to).  I know
> that SCO's curses supports xterm mouse interpretation.  I don't know
> whether the nature of that support is identical to ncurses', or only
> similar in spirit.

        We have two choices here: mouse support for ncurses ONLY, or
mouse support for xterms ONLY.  For ncurses, the support consists of a
single mousemask() called and then checking for a KEY_MOUSE event
(analogous to KEY_NPAGE or KEY_DOWN).  For xterms, a special escape
code has to be generated and then the key-reading loop has to watch
for a mouse-click event.

        ncurses only:
                Pro: to support the mouse on the Linux console
or an exotic new terminal, just fix ncurses and Lynx will gain the
capability automatically.
                Con: requires ncurses; won't work for curses or slang.
(Actually, I believe slang provides mouse support, too, but the patch
only supports ncurses.  This should really be fixed, as slang's pretty
nice.)

        custom xterm support:
                Pro: will support xterm under curses, too
                Con: supporting different terminals will require more
extensive hacking; Lynx will acquire dependencies on how the mouse is read.

        I don't really want to implement custom xterm support.
Instead, I'd prefer to throw the problem to the maintainers of
ncurses/slang, leaving curses users out in the cold, but this should
be decided by the community, not me.  To the users: what do you want?

        Morden^H^H^H^H^H^HAndrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
;
;