Re: LYNX-DEV SGI/IRIX installation

From: Vilkata TDK
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SGI/IRIX installation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:33:48 CDT

I said:
{--> I'm trying to compile lynx for the SGI/IRIX.  It's apparently having
{--> problems with 'ld' when compiling.  The complete "transcript" of the
{--> attempt at compiling follows my sig.  I also tried 'make sgi' on an
{--[snip]
{--> As promised, here's the complete transcript of the attempt at 'make sgi'
{--> on the SGI:
{-->
{--> % make sgi
[another snip]

"Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden> replied:

{--probably a stupid question, but have you tried a 'make clean' first?
{--Failing that. have you tried gcc?

No, I didn't.  Didn't say to do so in the installation file, nor do I
remember seeing it in a readme.  This helped; it compiled all the way.
Unfortunately, it still has the same problem the alpha version did: it
didn't take my update for the lynx.cfg location.  I've had this problem
with versions on public machines on our system in the past; is there an
easy way on the command line or something to let you change the default
location of this without recompiling?  And if there isn't, how do I get
it to pay attention to what I changed in the Makefile?

(What exactly does 'make clean' do?  Sorry, but I've just taught myself
limited C++ in the past six months, and nobody has really given me a
good full picture of how everything in C++ works together.  (Neither
have any of the books.))