Re: LYNX-DEV SGI/IRIX installation

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SGI/IRIX installation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:03:31 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Vilkata TDK wrote:

> I said:
> {--> I'm trying to compile lynx for the SGI/IRIX.  It's apparently having
> {--> problems with 'ld' when compiling.  The complete "transcript" of the
> {--> attempt at compiling follows my sig.  I also tried 'make sgi' on an
> {--[snip]
> {--> As promised, here's the complete transcript of the attempt at 'make sgi'
> {--> on the SGI:
> {-->
> {--> % make sgi
> [another snip]
>
> "Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden> replied:
>
> {--probably a stupid question, but have you tried a 'make clean' first?
> {--Failing that. have you tried gcc?
>
> No, I didn't.  Didn't say to do so in the installation file, nor do I
> remember seeing it in a readme.  This helped; it compiled all the way.
> Unfortunately, it still has the same problem the alpha version did: it
> didn't take my update for the lynx.cfg location.  I've had this problem
> with versions on public machines on our system in the past; is there an
> easy way on the command line or something to let you change the default
> location of this without recompiling?  And if there isn't, how do I get
> it to pay attention to what I changed in the Makefile?

> (What exactly does 'make clean' do?  Sorry, but I've just taught myself
> limited C++ in the past six months, and nobody has really given me a
> good full picture of how everything in C++ works together.  (Neither
> have any of the books.))

'make clean' deletes all the 'binary' (.o and executable) files you've
generated, in preparation for building on a new platform or with a
modified Makefile. I agree that it should be mentioned in the
documentation.

Hmm... I had no problems with changing the default lynx.cfg location when
building the slightly older Lynx-2-5FM... I just set the UNIX
LYNX_CFG_FILE in userdefs.h using

#define LYNX_CFG_FILE "/my/particular/lynx/path/lynx.cfg"

and rebuilt using
make clean && make

--
Benjamin C. W. Sittler - address@hidden - http://www.nmt.edu/~bsittler