Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 19:00:11 -0500 (EST)

Carl Reimann <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> [ ... ] Would the feature include ability to edit the message
>> mailed?  That might then require sysadmin decisions.  Also, it in
>> theory is an option to mail a preformatted file. [ ... ]
>
>My opinion is that it should have the effect of a mailto: that
>address (webmaster or page author). This would allow one to say
>something specific.

        If that's what you're seeking, on attempting a 'c'omment
and getting the statusline message that no owner is defined
(because no LINK REV="made" was included in the document), you
can use 'g'oto to send a mailto:address@hidden message based on the
host field of the document's URL.  The problem, though, is that
you don't get the automatic Subject setting and option to include
the document in the them email message.  So I sent Hiram replacement
files for these mods to v2.6:

10-21-96
* Offer address@hidden for the 'c'omment command if no LINK REV="made"
  was present in a text/html document, and save a known owner URL when
  toggling to source ('\') so that the 'c'omment command can still be
  used with that owner's (mailto or homepage) URL, but the source can
  be included in the comment, as would be desireable (instead of a bad
  rendering) when sending a comment about bad HTML in the document. - FM

>                        I don't believe preformatted text should
>be used, because that will tend to get the message ignored.
>Members of congress pay more attention to unique letters than
>to postcards manufactured with an imprinted message. Remember
>also that to some extent 'authors' make decisions based upon
>annoyance factors. If they decide Lynx users are annoying they
>may just exclude them on user agent basis.

        Perhaps so, but with the above mods, perhaps it would still
be desireable for us to develop a boilerplate inclusion that could be
available to the editor (I have zillions of them defined for mine 8-),
which points the owner or WebMaster to a set of pages that discuss the
issue(s) well.

                                Fote