Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:26:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

:       Gee!!!  I didn't understand what Subir was asking, nor figure
:it out from looking at those two documements, and I still don't
:understand it from this explanation.  Could somebody explain it again,
:perhaps with explicit HREFs and BASEs, and what the resolved URLs were
:hoped to be, but aren't with Lynx?

Glad to comply.  I'm sorry my message was indecipherable.  I must really
work on getting things across.  In any case, say the following markup is
found in the document at the URL
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/canyu.html

<base href="http://www.nyu.edu/pages/advocacy/index.html";>
</head>

<h1>CANYU</h1>

document</a> (i.e. http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/canyu.html) </p>

absolute URL http://www.nyu.edu/pages/advocacy/info/pgp/ </p>

href="http://www.foo.com/";>http://www.foo.com/</a></p>

<h2><a name="fragment">Fragment of this this document</a></h2>

but is not found in the document at the URL
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/advocacy/index.html (href for BASE).</p>

will not be converted to an absolute URL using the href attribute of the
BASE tag.  i.e. references to &quot;#fragment&quot; will not be resolved
into references to
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/advocacy/index.html#fragment</p>

will be resolved into absolute URLss using the base tag.  Thus a relative
link to &quot;info/pgp&quot; would be resolved into
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/advocacy/info/pgp/ </p>

client Lynx which may be the only WWW application--developed by an
independent group having no vested interest in the course that future
development of the HTML takes--to follow the standards.  Subir doesn't
really want this functionality so much that he would be willing to ask
that Lynx behave arbitrarily ;~)  Subir knows nothing about how other
browsers tackle this probleem because he does not have access to other
browsers from wherehe's sitting right now (and Bob Dole says...) </p>

;
;