LYNX-DEV Relative URLs, BASE implementation

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Relative URLs, BASE implementation
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 02:08:32 -0500 (CDT)

Earlier I wrote:

> [1] For example the HTParse() function.  It uses some terms differently
>     from the RFC (e.g. "path").
>      On very cursory examination,
>     it appears that Lynx's version of it doesn't have any knowledge
>     about URL parameters built in.  The cursory examination consisted
>     of searching for the string "';'" in the relevant file.  Libwww5's
>     HTParse.c contains one occurence, in HTSimplify().  I suspect
>     neither one gets it exactly right for all cases according to the
>     RFC, but I'd have to check.  Anyway, URL parameters are rarely used.

I decided I shouldn't just throw suspicions around like that, so I
converted the examples from RFC 1808 to HTML links, to test what actually
happens.  Please have a look at it at
     <URL:http://www.tezcat.com/~kweide/lynxhacks/RURL.html>.

The new WWWLib isn't perfect either, and gets some different things
wrong.  (My own hacking code which combines an insane mixture of old
and new library parsing functions did worst :-(, and I spare you the
results.)

Some of the errors with paths containing /.. may be related to recent
reports of problems (dired mode etc.) to which nobody has replied.

Hey, improving HTParse.c looks like a reasonable project for someone
with some knowledge of C and URL syntax (or ability to read an RFC), but
without the time to figure out all of the Lynx code.  Just HTParse.h
and HTParse.c should be enough.  Anybody up for it?

   Klaus

;
;