LYNX-DEV browser.org

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV browser.org
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

lordibe, did i start something ...

my idea in suggesting  browser.org  was that the great unwashed out there
who've never heard the Word -- lynx, ie -- would have a good chance
of coming across it when searching for  browser , if we used that url.
any frontwise addition should reflect some aspect of lynx, eg development,
archive, publicity.  it's a bit of chutzpah to grab the ultimate generic
name, but then we've got the best product, so.

as for legalities, clearly rob now owns the name & can do whatever he likes
with it, subject only to the apparently vague rules of internic, which are
even more laxly enforced, it seems.  the rest of us will have to rely
on his continuing goodwill towards lynx, but while anarchy has lots
to be said for it, SOMEONE has to take responsibility for providing
some stability here & there, & we should all be grateful that rob has done so.

as for lawyers, they tend to have big mouths & lots of false teeth.
you can't copyright a generic name or one in general use
or one someone else has been using before: Wall St Journal ran into this
last week when it tried to start a california edition called The Journal
& found someone else out there already had that name in use.
it MIGHT be an idea for someone to inquire into copyrighting the name LYNX
for BROWSERS, just in case someone else did & the absence of a legal corp'n
undermined our efforts to defend it.

so now we've got the url, let's make proper use of it.
there's a lot of people out there who would love to have lynx available
rather than brand x, but simply don't know about it.
i showed it to my landlady, who's a free-lance journalist,
& she said "oh, i've got to get that: it's so much faster!".

more thoughts on publication & promotion soon.

;