Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:51:00 +0900 (JST)

> protocols..   For example, you know that you (or your users) never use
> "finger:" URLs?  Compile a version without the HTFinger module.
> The same for Gopher, FTP, News, probably even HTTP.  If you don't

It would certainly make a lot of sense for `lynx -validate'.

> of the Protocol modules, (1) exclude the relevant HTxxxx.o file from

I'd always wondered if this couldn't be done.  Thanks, I'll try it this
weekend.

> It just seems from the code that it should work.  Changes in more
> places would be needed to give users a sensible error message on
> tryin to acces one of the omitted protocols.)

Since Fote implemented defines for anonymous accounts, e.g.,
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_GOPHER       TRUE, whenever a protocol is
defined FALSE, won't an anonymous user get a message even if the protocol
module isn't there?

> investigate.  My current list of suspects has HTRules, HTAAServ, HTUU,
> maybe more, but that is unverified.

I'll see what I can do about testing these, too.

Thanks much!  __Henry
;
;