Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org

From: Rob Partington - Admin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:16:29 +0100 (BST)

Klaus Weide wrote:

> Rob has registered browser.org.  It's his.
> He did it in order to make lynx.browser.org possible for Lynx.
> So we can say lynx.browser.org is "ours".  (Whoever exactly the "We" are).

Well, browser.org is registered by Netlink, not me.  If I leave Netlink,
it would be up to Netlink's hostmaster as to what happens to browser.org
(by a remarkable coincidence, the new Netlink hostmaster happens to be,
well, possibly my best friend, so I think it's safe...  :-)

> Whatever Rob does with the rest of his namespace *.browser.org is not
> our business, IMHO.  He can "rent out" some of it to others for other
> browsers, or register his personal home computer or kitchen appliance
> under it AFAIAC.  I don't see what that would have to do with Lynx.
>
> He may even ask us before doing something else under browser.org.
> But he doesn't have to.

I'll certainly put something on this list about it.

> > > We would be able to have chimera or
> > > other free browsers hang off our namespace it it seems reasonable.
>
> There is no "We" involved here, because browser.org is Rob's.
>
> > This is what worries me the most.  Who decides what's "reasonable"?
>
> Rob does.

(If only the people I know would believe that... :-)

> There is no formally established Lynx Browser Foundation, or Lynx
> Support Not-For-Profit Organization, AFAIK, to register an domain name
> for us.  So Rob, as an individual, did what was necessary to make
> lynx.browser.org possible.  I trust that he will do what's necessary
> to support lynx.browser.org as a stable name - including ceding control
> to someone appropriate if he cannot maintain it.  There is also no reason
> why I would automatically trust any formal organi[sz]ation more than the
> individual RP (including the question of stability).

I'll do everything in my power to make browser.org a stable name.
--
Rob Partington / Netlink Sysadmin / address@hidden / 25y046d
Visit Mullet Watch International: http://www.mullet.org.uk/