Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:46:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Whatever Rob does with the rest of his namespace *.browser.org is not
> our business, IMHO.  He can "rent out" some of it to others for other
> browsers, or register his personal home computer or kitchen appliance
> under it AFAIAC.  I don't see what that would have to do with Lynx.

Cool!  I can't wait to telnet to toaster.browser.org and burn his toast.
;)  Sorta like the Coke machine that's online, eh?

> > What if several entities lay claim to the same subdomain?
>
> There is nothing to base such a claim on anyway...
> At least I don't think that Procter&Gamble, who have registered GERMS.COM
> among other stupid names, have any obligation to let other competing
> sicknesses also use that domain...

I think the question was if Rob allowed someone to use xyz.browser.org,
and then someone else came along with a browser with the same name or
something and also wanted xyz.browser.org...

It also seems there may be some confusion about allowing the use of names
and hosting those names.  Lynx.browser.org is hosted by netlink and Rob.
However, if Rob decided to let someone use xyz.browser.org (Now somebody's
gonna HAVE to come out with xyz browser. <g>), that doesn't mean that Rob
has to host it or even have ANYTHING to do with its administration.  It
can be hosted by anyone else as long as the nameserver entries and such
are there.  Then, whoever is over the hosting machine is in charge of it.