Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org

From: Bill Kearney
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV browser.org
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:26:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> I think the question was if Rob allowed someone to use xyz.browser.org,
> and then someone else came along with a browser with the same name or
> something and also wanted xyz.browser.org...
>
> It also seems there may be some confusion about allowing the use of names
> and hosting those names.  Lynx.browser.org is hosted by netlink and Rob.
> However, if Rob decided to let someone use xyz.browser.org (Now somebody's
> gonna HAVE to come out with xyz browser. <g>), that doesn't mean that Rob
> has to host it or even have ANYTHING to do with its administration.  It
> can be hosted by anyone else as long as the nameserver entries and such
> are there.  Then, whoever is over the hosting machine is in charge of it.

Whoa! Now that was a twisted explanation!  <grin>

Indeed, the use of something within this new .browser.org domain does not
mean the machine has to be connected to or administered by anything within
.browser.org.  The only significant issues will be to have the 'right' DNS
A record in the browser.org tables *AND* to have the 'right' DNS PTR
record in the reverse maps.  This might confuse some novice ISPs out there
so be sure they get it right.

If I'm on 1.2.3.4 and I wanted to be seen as 'abc.browser.org' I have to
get the browser.org table updated to contain:

abc.browser.org.        IN      A       1.2.3.4

and then I'd have to update the reverse maps for 1.2.3 to contain:

4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.   IN      PTR     abc.browser.org.

This means 2 different nameservers will have to be edited.  One at
browser.org. and the other at whatever is handling the reverse map.

Take extra care when fiddling with CNAME records.  Especially if you want
mail delivered!  The RFCs dictate that can't point an MX record at a
CNAME!  So if you want mail to be deliverable to abc.browser.org you
should have an MX record that points to an A record only.  This is
important because you might want to change the record in browser.org to
point to a CNAME.  Again, if you do this you have to add a 'real' MX
record:

abc.browser.org.        IN      CNAME   www.elsewhere.domain
                        IN      MX      10 mail.elsewhere.domain

Note that the eventual DNS record for mail.elsewhere.domain had better be
an A record and not an MX record to somewhere else.

So, that more than you wanted to hear? <grin>

Bill

;
;