Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:33:08 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Drazen Kacar)
>Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      The Lynx v2.6 DTD also recognizes everything in Cougar, so you may
>> not want a parenthetical qualifier at all.  It also recognizes everything
>> in RFCXXXX(i18n), which hasn't been assigned an RFC number yet.  That
>> includes stuff which is not in HTML 2.0, 3.0, or any of the 3.2 drafts.
>
>HTML 3.2 is not even a draft. I mean, it's not Internet draft. It says it's
>W3C draft, and that means, in Microsoft interpretation, HTML 3.2 standard.
>Can you tell me where is the Cougar spec? W3C server returns 403 for
>http://www.w3c.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/

        You need HTML.dtd on that URL (there's apparently no index file
in that subdirectory).  The "W3C HTML Draft" link in the online 'h'elp
leads you the W3C HTML cover page with a link to that DTD.

>> is made public after only one month of each update.  It's perhaps
>> reasonable to anticipate that the Amaya sources will be made public
>> at some reasonable interval after updates, rather than only after it
>> has become obsolete, anyway (that won't likely happen, as happened
>> for Arena, if Amaya has a really good HTML editor built in).
>
>Not releasing sources is a bad idea. I suppose there are people willing to
>work a bit at it, but they can't because no one wants them to.

        Yes, that was a bad consequence of the way the W3C was structured
with the relocation from CERN to MIT.  Though at a unversity, it is not
structured as a department, it's "director" and key staff are not "faculty",
and it is dependent on the fees from it's member vendors for it's existence
and functioning.

                                Fote