Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx hangs on FTP URLs

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx hangs on FTP URLs
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:05:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Rob Puller wrote:

> Ok, the FTP URL hanging problem is solved.  It appears that it resulted
> from a peculiarity, but not a bug, in Lynx.
>
> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Rob Puller wrote:
>
> > Lynx hangs when I try to connect to an FTP URL.  It connects to all other
> > URLs without trouble.  It completes the login to the FTP URL, then hangs
> > until the remote FTP server times out.  Here are the last few lines of the
> > exchange as reported by "trace":
> > [snip]
>
> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > > HTFTP: Opened master socket number 4
> > > HTFTP: This host is 0.0.163.134
> >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > [snip]
> >
> > Is that a valid address for "This host"?
> > [snip]
>
> I, too, thought that the 0.0.163.134 was an odd expression of an address,
> which I recognised as the domainless part of the address assigned to me by
> my Internet Service Provider (ISP).
>
> Before I start this long-winded explanation, be advised that this problem
> is not likely to be encountered by most Lynx Users unless they operate
> "standalone" systems, i.e., systems that are not permanently connected to
> the Internet.  The problem may also be specific to CMU_OpenVMS/IP, though I
> doubt that.  It might be worth documenting somewhere, however, to prevent
> another occurance.  I'll be happy to clean this posting up (significantly
> shorten it) and integrate it into a FAQ, or the Installation guide, or
> wherever, if those of you who are assuming most of the development and
> maintenance burden will tell me where you want it.  I'll also see about
> getting this into the CMU_OpenVMS/IP FAQ.
>
> The HTFtp module in the WWW library which Lynx uses apparently acquires the
> IP Address assigned to the network interface device by searching for
> information which is made available by the TCP/IP package.  I have no idea
> what actual mechanisms are used (it does not seem to be environmental
> variables [logicals on VMS]).
>
> At any rate, I have a small local area network which is interfaced to an
> ethernet adapter on my VAX.  The IP Addresses of the devices on the
> ethernet are chosen by me from the reserved addresses which are not allowed
> to be used on the Internet (see RFC1918).  I connect to the Internet via a
> dialup line with modems.  Upon logging into my account on the ISP's system,
> I can initiate a SLIP connection for which the ISP issues a temporary IP
> Address for my Serial Link network interface device; thus I have two IP
> address for the two network interface devices on my machine.
>
> LOCAL_DOMAIN is defined in userdefs.h as rsp.eng.com (hey, I had to name it
> something) and rsp.eng.com is defined to CMU_OpenVMS/IP as mapping to an
> address of 198.163.100.100.  HTFtp uses these addresses to make the
> connection to a remote FTP URL, *BUT*, after login it somehow grabs the
> address of the device through which it is communicating, which, of course,
> [...]

Actually, the message above is applicable to anyone running Lynx on a
machine which serves as a network gateway, regardless of operating system.
Basically, you need to make sure you send the right 'return address' to
the FTP PORT command. For this to work well, both of your machine's
addresses would be listed in the domain server immediately above you.
Alternatively, you could set up an FTP firewall (or an httpd firewall that
handles FTP URLs) on the machine with two network interfaces, and talk
through that. (I assume the firewall code can handle multiple interfaces.)
The particulars for different OS/driver/hardware combinations differ, and
this is an area badly in need of a FAQ.

I realize that this isn't Lynx-specific, as it affects all network
software... but I get the feeling that the target audiences may be largely
composed of the same individuals.

;
;