LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:18:43 -0400 (EDT)

Lately I have been following the lynx-dev discussion by browsing
the archive.  When you spend that much time wandering around one
weakly-served site, you notice things.  Like the time spent
repeating name lookup each time you move between pages at the
same site.

I have been able to speed up my own meandering around the archive
by perhaps 30-40% by starting with an URL which has an IP number
for the host path.  Because I am navigating with relative URLs
around the site, I pick up appreciable speed by the time not
spent repeating name lookup.

This suggest two possible avenues of optimization:

        Rob could use IP-number URLs in the root page at
        lynx.browser.org for at least the Lynx-dev
        Archive and the Lynx Enhanced Pages.  This would
        accelerate the navigation at those sites for people
        finding their way thence from lynx.browser.org [or
        caching a bookmark from a visit started thus].

        Lynx itself could cache the IP number form of host-path
        as part of BASE when known, and use it in the construction
        of synthesized URLs relative to this BASE.  This
        introduces failures on the odd chance that the IP node
        serving a domain name changes during the lifetime of
        a BASE memory in Lynx [perhaps not our most prevalent
        failure mode].  This would offer some speedup for all
        navigation via relative URLs.

Both of these are armchair punditry because I am not in a
position to Just Do It.  But I at least wanted to pass on the IP
number acceleration idea for anyone who wants to juice up their
most-used bookmarks.

Al Gilman

;
;