Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:51:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

:       Rob could use IP-number URLs in the root page at
:       lynx.browser.org for at least the Lynx-dev
:       Archive and the Lynx Enhanced Pages.  This would
:       accelerate the navigation at those sites for people
:       finding their way thence from lynx.browser.org [or
:       caching a bookmark from a visit started thus].

Not a good idea in my case.  IP #s at NYU are reasonably dynamic with
various changes being made as to which subnet a particular machine is on
(this sometimes happens as frequently as every month).  I personally BASE
about every document I make.  Maybe a hack so that Lynx keeps a temporary
"hosts.txt" buffer might make sense.  Say 10 hosts or net_locs for the 10
last URLs, whichever is fewer (maybe even refresh every hour).  But this
might create major problems with Lynx compliance to DNS specs and
recommendations.

address@hidden * PGP * Blue-Ribbon * Lynx 2.6 * address@hidden
You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days..

;
;