Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:17:02 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>

  Although, I think, if repeated (successful) lookups of the same name
  are taking too long, it indicates that something is wrong (or at least
  not-optimal) with your setup.  You could consider running your own
  BIND daemon (just for caching) on your machine...

  (I assume your repeated lookups are taking to long because you are
  accessing a nameserver over a dialup connection.  This wouldn't
  affect shell users on multiuser systems, because those systes will
  presumably have a fast connection to the nearest nameserver.)

I think that we have to stick with the "non-optimal" hypothesis.
I am running in a shell account on a commercial ISP.  You
should see how long it takes to get the attention of _my own
pages_ via HTTP sometimes!

Al Gilman
;
;