Re: LYNX-DEV Old question - 2-4-2 vs 2-4-FM

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Old question - 2-4-2 vs 2-4-FM
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:33:52 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>If the true answer is a faq, just point me in the right direction.  I have
>seen a lot of talk while searching through the archives, but I could never
>find the answer.  Which came first, lynx 2-4-2 or 2-4-FM?  I am kind of
>cloudy on when `FM' started and if other development stopped or if there
>were two versions in the works for a period of time.

        Lynx2-4 was a rename of Lynx2-3FM and archiving as an "official"
version in May 1995, in conjunction with personal assurances to me from
the Supervisor at UKans that substantive development would resume there
in fact, rather than just the pretenses of the preceding year.  Lynx2-4-1
and Lynx2-4-2 were released at UKans shortly thereafter, and contain
contributed patches.  Lynx2-4FM incorporated those patches and continued
Lynx development when it became clear toward the end of the summer of 1995
that substantive Lynx development in fact would not resume at UKans.  Lynx
was going to be released to the public domain at that point, but UKans
agreed based on discussion in lynx-dev to retain copyright and GPL Lynx,
so that it will forever remain freeware with required availability of
sources for anyone's modifications of Lynx.

        Lynx2-5 was an archiving of Lynx2-4FM in May 1996, and Lynx2-6
was an achiving of Lynx2-5FM in September 1996.

                                Fote