Re: LYNX-DEV Navigate.Cgi (fwd)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Navigate.Cgi (fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:26:11 -0500 (EST)

Carl Reimann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, they seem to care. Is it a Lynx problem or in their case
> do all browsers have the trouble. It had the ring of the redirect
> problem I have found elsewhere. Anyway, I am forwarding this
> because it shows someone willing to change their strategy on the
> basis of whether Lynx can access. This is good.

        The top, FORM link has that problem.  It should switch to
METHOD=GET, or return a 303 instead of 302 status code for it's
redirection.  Also, using a TYPE=IMAGE submit button for that, though
it will work for Lynx, doesn't suggest adequate understanding or
thinking on the part of the page developer.

        I didn't try to understand what's causing the bad links near the
bottom of the page, but it's so full of bad HTML, the person at that
site who does care should be instructed on the use of HTML validation.

        There's nothing I saw on the page that should cause it to require
a different, text-only page, at least for Lynx, if the site used valid
validation of its HTML, instead of just looking at it with a GUI that
has an incompetently written parser, and is by no means a validator.
:) :) :)

                                Fote